5.26.2011

First Attempt at Pork Chops

I've not had many encounters with pork chops throughout my life. I can think of maybe once or twice that I had them growing up and I'm not even sure if I had liked them at the time. I found some on super sale at Fresh & Easy and thought I would give them a try anyway....they were truly too cheap to pass up. I searched the internet for some recipes that sounded tasty, but couldn't come to terms on one, so I mixed a few of them together and the final product was actually pretty delicious!

Easy Italian Pork Chops

Photobucket
(may not be pretty, but sure are delicious)
Ingredients-

1 cup cornmeal (flour will also work)
Salt
Pepper
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons  milk (Almond milk was all I had, and it seemed to work just fine)
1.5 cups Italian bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons fresh parsley
red pepper flakes
garlic powder
2 tablespoons olive oil
4-6 pork chops depending on size

Directions-

1. Preheat Oven to 325 F
2. In a small bowl, mix cornmeal and chopped garlic with salt and pepper to taste.

3. Trim excess fat from rinsed pork chops and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Let sit.
4. In a small bowl mix together eggs and milk. In another small bowl mix together bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, red pepper flakes and garlic powder. (I've learned that using personal preference on things like red pepper and garlic powder also turns out a little better. I used just under a tablespoon of each)

5. Heat olive oil in large oven safe skillet over medium heat.
6. Dip dredged pork chops in egg mixture and then into the bread crumb mixture. Repeat once. Place coated chops into skillet and brown each side 3-5 mins depending on thickness (mine were very thin, 3 mins was sufficient)
7. Place oven safe skillet with pork chops in preheated oven and cook for 25 mins or to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F.



I served my chops up with some garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus. Papa raved all night long =) There's something about his raves that make me feel especially accomplished.
~Bon Appetit!

1 comment: